Date:      Fri, 2 May 2014 11:15:16 -0700
From:      Frank Jahnke <frank.jahnke@gmail.com>
To:        Koop Mast <kwm@rainbow-runner.nl>
Cc:        Dennis Glatting <dg@pki2.com>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evolution Issues

Thanks for the assurance that Evolution will continue to be supported.  It
seems rather fragile at the moment.

I did finally get my files split using traditional Unix text-processing
tools and vi.  It turns out that the Sent file was really corrupted, and I
had to rebuild it from its component pieces.  Now that every file is on the
order of 1 GB (one is 1.6GB) it seems to work OK -- the indexing is fast,
junk files identified, and the trash can be emptied.

I did rely heavily on a tool that may benefit others: mutt_mbox_split.sh.
 This is a bash script that splits mbox-format files according to date
range inputs.  It works fine on FreeBSD as long as gsed is installed and
used instead of the BSD sed.  You also need to have mutt installed.
 Simply, the shell reads the options and invokes gsed to get mbox entries
in the proper range, and then feeds them to mutt for sorting.  It works
really well.  Be aware that the files split out are removed from the source
file, so make sure to have a backup.

After working with mbox files for a bit, I no longer have any confidence in
their potential accuracy for legal issues (for example).  They are too easy
to manipulate/edit.