Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 10:07:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Raul Zighelboim <rzig@gulfsouth.verio.net>
Cc:        "scsi@freebsd.org" <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: to raid or not to raid

On 15-Mar-98 Raul Zighelboim wrote:
> Hello there;
>
> Could anyone point me to documentation on the pros and cons of raid
> 5/raid 0 in a non-pro language ?
> Also, any pro/cons off 'raid 0 over raid 5' ?

Apples and Oranges.  RAID-0 is not RAID at all.  It is simply striping.
RAID-5 uses a scheme where each driver contains some data and some
``disaster recovery information'';

RAID-0 is good for speed.  The more disks, the faster things go.
RAID-5 is god for data reliabiliy;  if ONE driver fails, the data is still
all there and can be recovered.

RAID-0 is unreliable;  as you add drives, your MTBF (Mean Time Between
Failures) goes down.  If you loose one drive, you loose ALL the data.

RAID-5 is slow;  Data has to be recorded in more than one place.  RAID =-5
is very slow if degraded (one drive failed); every sector off the dead
drive has to be computed for the rest of the drives.

RAID-0 is economical;  You get to use ALL the capacity you give it.  You
can have as small an array as 2 drives, or as large as you have drives
(almost).

RAID-5 is wasteful;  You always loose one drive worth of storage capacity.
RAID-5 does not scale well.  A RAID-5 array with 100 drives is not as fast
as one with 5 drives.

> What I mean by that is to ccd multiple raid 5 arrays to do load
> balancing over multiple scsi busses.

This is one method of acomplishing it.  Another method to achive balance
over multiple SCSI busses, is using a DPT PM33334 type controller.  It
allows you to have RAID-{0,1,5} striped across three busses, totally
transparent to the O/S;  You can then install any number of O/S's, all
sharing in the same RAID arrays.  You can then take multiple controllers
and create a CCD RAID-0 across the controllers.