Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 00:21:48 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   virtusertable weirdness

Hi all.. I'm having an odd problem with the virtuser feature in
sendmail.. Hoping someone has run into the same problem.

Basically, it don't work. :)

Details:
	FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE, 'make world' around the middle of April
	sendmail 8.8.8 (obviously, built from the make world)
	sendmail.cf is basically the stock file shipped with freebsd
	db-2.3.16 and gdbm-1.7.3 packages added since the make world

/etc/virtusertable.source looks like:
	mark@hi-fi.com		mark
	editor@hi-fi.com	mark
	@hi-fi.com			mad

vnode % makemap dbm /etc/virtusertable < /etc/virtusertable.source
makemap: Type dbm not supported in this version

Hmmm. db-2.3.16 suspicions happening... My /etc/sendmail.cf did look
like:
	Kvirtuser dbm /etc/virtusertable

So I try:
vnode % makemap hash /etc/virtusertable < /etc/virtusertable.source

which completes fine. Now I've got a /etc/virtusertable.db
Change the sendmail.cf to:
	Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/virtusertable

No go. So I try:
	Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/virtusertable.db

Still no go. Mailing to a real user on the virtual domain works, but
trying one of the mappings doesn't do it:

   ... while talking to mailhost.vmunix.com.:
   >>> RCPT To:<editor@hi-fi.com>
   <<< 550 <editor@hi-fi.com>... User unknown
   550 editor@hi-fi.com... User unknown

Naturally, I remembered to HUP sendmail after making any sendmail.cf
changes...

Anyone have any ideas that I'm doing wrong here?? My only hunch is
that the addition of the db-2.3.16 package might have fried something..
There is a ndbm.h file in /usr/include, and I tried rebuilding the
/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/makemap/makemap.c with -DNDBM instead of -DNEWDB
but the same error about 'dbm not supported happens'..

TIA for any help,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark