Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 22:32:34 +0000
From:      Bradley Kite <bradley@deathsgate.demon.co.uk>
To:        Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
Cc:        reiserfs-list@namesys.com, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-list] Reiserfs on Freebsd

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 03:00:38PM +0300, Hans Reiser wrote:
> No one is doing it.  Be aware that ReiserFS is GPL'd, and that you need
> to maintain the GPL when doing the port.
>
> It is a very large job you are taking on.  Are you sure you want to
> commit that much time without a commercial sponsor paying for it?  (We
> have not done the port ourselves because no one will pay for it.)
>
> Hans

Hi there Hans.

I am mearly looking at the feasibility of porting it to FreeBSD at present
and have not fully commited myself to it yet, as I still have a lot
of studying to do (both with regards to linux's implementaion, as well
as FreeBSD's VFS details).

Should I decide to go ahead with it, I think it best I do a read-only
version at first which seems like a much easier task than writing
the journaling code etc, and solves my problem of convenience
(accessing files on my ReiserFS partition from within FreeBSD).
This should hopefully encourage others to consider adding write
support in the future, but it is not my main objective.

If I do go ahead with writing the read-only implementaion, I will deal
with the licensing issue as I get to it, because it may well be easier
to start from scratch than to untangle ReiserFS from the Linux kernel.

--
Brad.