Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 19:34:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        paul@originative.co.uk, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: new loader.rc stuff

So this is actually just a general response to the whole thing--one of the
things I actually dislike about rc.conf is its flexibility: the user can
put anything script-wise they like into it.  My temptation would be to
reduce the flexibility: to have a simple name:value configuration file
(with appropriate extensions for lists, quoted strings, etc) that is
guaranteed to be readable by any third-party (or even first-party :)
automated configuration programs.  Depending on your mood, the name field
could even be MIB-like (boot.runaway: yes).

It just seems like sometimes scripts give too much flexibility :-); rather
than providing useful increased functionality, they improve the chances
that the user will screw themselves by taking advantage of it in ways that
confuse automated utilities such as configuration checkers, managers, etc.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
Safeport Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/