Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:01:08 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Now a little OT but RE: FreeBSD and Linux (More Questions!)

A Ziggurat!

>holding the motherboard, processor and memory.  Next step up holding
>the DVD-RAM drive, followed up the next steps containing the HDD, the
>other removable media drive (looked like a Zip drive), and the top
>being the control and I/O panel with all of the ports on top.  Gone
>are your PS/2 ports for mouse and keyboard, replaced by USB.  Gone are
>your serial and parallel ports, replaced by USB.

I wouldn't worry about that - the prototype is probably going to be
the only thing produced, and will end up in a storeroom.

This is the same stuff that Sun pulled with the Sparc Classics and IPX
boxes.  The problem, as everyone realized, is that all the cabling
and separate cases cost more money than a simple steel box with all
the components in it, that Tiawan like to make.  And the steel boxes
are recyclable, which the Ziggurat probably isn't. (since I'd suspect
that all the cases are plastic)

Single-source computer companies, like Sun and Apple, can get away
with this kind of BS.  But, Intel won't be able to do this.  I remember
Intel a couple years ago when they were pushing
into the motherboard market with the ATX standard.  I remember being at a
presentation where the Intel people talked about how they made their
pilgrimage to Taiwan and visited all the case manufacturers and laid
out their standard on how big they wanted the opening to be, and the
case manufacturers basically told them to stick it and redesigned the
ATX case the way _they_ wanted to do it, and Intel had to go back
and redo all their ATX motheerboard plates for their boxed motherboards.

>	This is what they want the PC to be once the IA-64 hits mainstream.
>Which basically means that when the Itanium gets out there and into
>the hands of more than the technophiles, nearly everything that we
>have now is going to be obsolete.

I really doubt it.  I think your going to see the motherboard and CPU
change but it will still go into the same case, take the same peripherals,
and same ram, and all that.  Probably it will spawn a lot of hand-wringing
about how the "rest of the system" is holding back the power of the
IA-64.