Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 13:02:09 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD must remail non-commercial at all (Was: Not enough information)

On 1/6/00, 8:18:55 AM, "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
wrote regarding FreeBSD must remail non-commercial at all (Was: Not
enough information):

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Delmir Fernandes wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > I am a new Linux user and always listen to others saying that FreeBS=
> > is better and faster plus many large and well-known companies use
> > FreeBSD. If that is so... Why is Linux so much more popular? Why doe=
> > not exist enough (if any) documentation on FreeBSD? How can FreeBSD =
be

> What do you mean by documentation?  There's great thing called
Handbook,
> which is far more consistent and easy-to-read than those Linuxish
HOWTO's
> that everyone writes -- handbook is much better since it's written in
one
> style, and it is a Documentation Project indeed.

> Secondly, there are lots of tutorials; and what is really cool --
> maillists and archives!  I don't remember linux (any vendor) having
one of
> those.  Plus, don't forget man pages ;-))

> > so much poor?  From mine point of view FreeBSD is in the place where=

> > it is because it's creators want so!
> >
> > FreeBSD would be in much better position if it were sold to the
> > masses, and not only a very few experts.  From all the excuses you

> I'd *really* won't appreciate if FreeBSD were sold.  To anyone.
> Moreover, it will loose quality if considering those-not-expersts
> people.  It has nothing to do with proffesionalism of developers,
that's
> just the way things go -- look at popular linux distros.

> > may have for making FreeBSD poor as it is (in content) the last
> > one should be money. We leave in a capitalistic world and looks like=

you
> > are trying to leave in a social/monetary communist world. Look at

> Software should be free.  At least FreeBSDish ;-)  Name implies, ya
know ;-)

> > Microsoft... they are where they are not because their product is
> > better (actually, their products s$#&), they are where they are
> > because they target the masses. You can find the resources you need
> > there... in the masses.

> Macro$ux products suck because they are for masses -- this way, there
is
> no need to write high-quality soft, since lamers won't bother, just
make
> it nice-looking, easy-installable, and ship it with semi-decent office=

> tools.  That's it, and it will buy.  So who cares that mustdies
require
> reset pressings daily -- this kludge works for some weird reason, and
they
> get money for it -- what else do they need?

> > The open source software amuses me, but I hate to see a GREATE OS li=
ke
> > FreeBSD left behind because someone decided to run against the wind.=

> It's not left behind.  It's not for lamers, which population is much
> greater than of experts, sorry to say this.

> > Life isn't perfect but it is great if we learn to adapt to it.

> I'd rather tried to change it to better, not to adatp to it.

> Well, I think that FreeBSD should be for experts and hackers only.
Look
> at RedHat Linux -- it's getting popular by evil means for our
community --
> involving commercial software, selling it for money, vast
> advertisement....  Visit their website -- they're selling Professinal
> edition for $149.95!  And those rumors (or maybe they are not just
rumors)
> about bying BeOS and others?  Seems that RedHat turning into another
> Mirco$oft. I bet this will _never_ occur to FreeBSD.  It will remain
> absolutely free; still, if I had any decent amount of money, I would
> surely donated them to FreeBSD people, and they don't need to demand
it.
> Those guys are probably the only ones who are real people with real
> values -- and this is great!

> ./danfe

Dear Alexey Dokuchaev,

I do not completely agree about this last point.
On the one hand, FreeBSD is certainly NOT for the lay man.
On the other, although I do think that FreeBSD requires a *decent*
level of "alphabetization", I would NOT exclude from it "non-hackers"
and "non-experts".

I know a few people with little to no English practice who would like
to be able to use FreeBSD as a powerful computing environment -- on
their home boxes.

I speak of people with a degree (and equivalent, or superior, level
of knowledge), people who often know other languages (e.g. French).
Maybe you will want to define them as "power users".

Would you really lock them out ?

Best regards,
Salvo

N.B. myjokingdomain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to e-mail to me.

  * Windows: brain-dead limits  *
  * BeOS: limited apps          *
  * Linux: unlimited (mindset)  *
  * FreeBSD: no limits          *