Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 01:06:21 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, "R.Sharma" <rsharma@apsara.barc.ernet.in>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to clear IPFW counters

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 12:49:32AM -0400, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Aug 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 25, 2000 at 03:22:52PM +0530, R.Sharma wrote:
> > >  Can any one tell me how to clear IPFW counters when system is running in
> > >  secure level 3.
> >
> > >From init(8) manpage:
> >
> >      3     Network secure mode - same as highly secure mode, plus IP packet
> >            filter rules (see ipfw(8) and ipfirewall(4))  cannot be changed and
> >            dummynet(4) configuration cannot be adjusted.
> >
> > You are SOL.
>
> Unless what you want to do is reset the logging counters.  That's a
> nice thing to be able to do :)

Right, you actually can do that, which is what the original poster was asking.

        /*
         * Disallow sets in really-really secure mode, but still allow
         * the logging counters to be reset.
         */
        if (sopt->sopt_dir == SOPT_SET && securelevel >= 3 &&
            sopt->sopt_name != IP_FW_RESETLOG)
                        return (EPERM);

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org