Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:26:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE dies on 40+ connects (resolved)

>     On the face of it it sounds to me like icecast is perhaps making the
>     socket buffers bigger --- maybe too big.  The default socket buffer

I talked to the icecast developers. A simple #undef SOCKET_OPERATIONS 1
stops it from changing the buffer size and they'll be incorporating that
change (for *BSD systems).

New testing with #undef SOCKET_OPERATIONS 1:

I have 121 clients connected and mbuf usage hovers bewteen 500-1100 (as
opposed to where it'd die at 4096 with 56 before). Additionally, if I cut
it down to 61 clients the mbuf is in the 50-600 range (usually sitting
around 90-150 range). I suspect the exponential increase at 91 and 121
clients is because of the massive amount of bandwidth (even for lo0),
i.e., around 22Mbps.

Thanks everybody for your help! FreeBSD is great and it's 80% about the
community. Not that I didn't always know it. =)

---
Jesse <j@lumiere.net>
http://www.lumiere.net/