Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 14:06:24 -0500
From:      Keith Jackson <keith@lsuc.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1 and HyperNews slow

Hi, we recently installed a copy of HyperNews 1.92 on a FreeBSD2.1 box
we set up to use as a test web server. We have Apache 1.1.3 installed.
Hypertext documents are served up to our PCs using NetScape very
quickly.
Generally the documents begin arriving within a fraction of a second and
complete transferring in a matter of a second or so.  We have a small
Perl script which takes the input from an HTML form and outputs a search
result and this completes in 2 or 3 seconds. But, doing any operation
in HyperNews generally takes about 9 seconds to complete (I've timed it
repeatedly). HyperNews works fine. I'd just like to reduce the response
time down to something more reasonable (on the order of 2 or 3 seconds).
I shold mention this FreeBSD box is not heavily used right now.
HyperNews is implemented as a series of Perl scripts that access message
and response pages and add response indices and image buttons to the
page for access and control purposes. It is the work of Daniel Laliberte
at
NCSA. When I connect to the NCSA site which hosts the HyperNews home
page
I generally get responses from it completed with 2 or 3 seconds (and
that's over the Internet). Is it possible that the slowness of HyperNews
on our local FreeBSD box could be improved by fine-tuning the FreeBSD
kernel? HyperNews also requires Perl 5.002 and in order to put this
quickly on our FreeBSD 2.1 box, I grabbed the binary release for it
from a copy of FreeBSD 2.1.6 that we had. As I say, it runs fine except
that the 9 second delay between submiting a URL with extra path info
and the display of the returning page is excessive.  Could I get
improvements if we compiled Perl5.002 on this box instead of using the
binary release? Our FreeBSD box by the way is a Pentium 90 Dell server
with 32 Mbytes of RAM.
Thanks for any suggestions you can make.