Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:34:38 -0600
From:      Erik de Zeeuw <erik@usishealth.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.4,gcc or 4.0,egcs, advice needed

Hi,

I'm currently setting up a web application server, which will use Apache
and its servlet
module, JServ. The servlets will use a MySQL database that also sits on
the
same machine.

We were until now using a computer equiped with FreeBSD 2.2.8 to do the
job, and we're
moving to a new computer since the old one begins to get really old. The
performance
were satisfying, although I didn't had to tweak around.

But the fact is, the new server will have to be the fastest as possible
because the
server will soon be much more busy than it used to be.

So I'm searching for the best performance with what I have, that is a
dual p2-500
computer, a FreeBSD-3.4-RELEASE and a 4.0-20000110 snapshot.

As the 4.0 tree natively uses egcs, or gcc-2.95, compiler, and as a lots
of people
told me that it was better than the old classic gcc, I was wondering if
running the
server on a 4.0 snapshot would be forth the try in terms of performance.

For now I'm planning on using the 3.4-RELEASE, but I was wondering how
egcs can
improve the performance, if it does, and if it at the cost of stability.

I'll be glad to hear from peoples who knows the answer,
Thanks in advance,

Erik de Zeeuw