Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 09:04:02 -0700
From:      Kurt Joseph Windisch <kurtw@network-services.uoregon.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kurtw@network-services.uoregon.edu
Subject:   xdm error

I'm having a problem getting xdm to work with FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE.
I placed 'xdm ; sleep 1' at the end of /etc/rc.local.  When the system
boots, the xdm login screen appears, but all keyboard input goes to
the vt 1 console instead of X.  However, if I login as root via the
console and start xdm manually, it works fine.

An error is reported in the xdm-error file:
  xf86CloseConsole: KDDISABIO failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

My xdm configuration in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm has not been modified
from the defaults. Below if the initial outpout of the X server for
version info:

XFree86 Version 3.3.2 / X Window System
Release Date: February 28 1998
Operating System: FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE i386
Configured drivers:
  S3: accelerated server for S3 graphics adaptors (Patchlevel 0)
      newmmio, mmio_928, s3_generic
Using syscons driver with X support (version 2.0)
(using VT number 2)

Any ideas what the problem might be?  Help appreciated!