Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:35:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric A. Griff" <eagriff@global2000.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Signal 11 after pppsioctl: in pppd(8)

After recompiling my kernel (cvsup from about jan 13-97) with:

FreeBSD global2000.net 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #0: Jan 14 12:50:25 EST 1997	eagriff@global2000.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/EAGRIFF  i386

I use cu most of the time to dial for pppd, I dial, then ~! to shell.
I then pppd /dev/cuaa0 38400  , and usually no problem, but since yesterday,
It sig 11's, and off to ddb. what I am finding is

_pppsioctl+0x17	cmpb	something(%edi)

after checking the registers, %edi is NULL. at first I paniced out. Then I found that

set $edi $ebp

would signal 11 once w/'c', and then come back up on a second set/c . At this point netstat -r shows all connections fine and the system is running fine.
With a little digging, I found pppsioctl in /sys/net/if_ppp.c .

I only have defaultroute in my options file, localhost in my /etc/hosts, and 2 nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf, and /etc/hosts.conf has hosts ; bind .

My system is:
Packard Bell BL510 60 Mhz Pentium
  8 meg of RAM
  ide 1.2G Conner Pariferals
  ide 204meg Seagate
  ide cdrom
  Packard Bell 144AMSP Soundcard/Faxmodem/Ans system.
  And dialup ppp

And here is my configuration.

#beginning of sys/i386/conf/EAGRIFF
#
# EAGRIFF -- Eric A. Griff FreeBSD configuration
#
#	$Id: GENERIC,v 1.46.2.18 1996/07/16 08:53:04 davidg Exp $
#

machine		"i386"
#cpu		"i386_CPU"
#cpu		"i486_CPU"
cpu		"I586_CPU"              # We are a pentium
#cpu		"i686_CPU"
ident		EAGRIFF
maxusers	15

options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		DEVFS			#device File System
#options		NFS			#Network Filesyst
options		MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options		PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options         "CD9660"
options         ATAPI
options		ATAPI_STATIC
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options         QUOTA
options         "CLK_USE_I586_CALIBRATION"      #un-documented
options         IPFIREWALL              #For a firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #w/syslogd support

# with 3.0, for config at bootup
options         USERCONFIG              #User Config enabled
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #Allow Visual Config edit at bootup

# To be safe, with 3.0-CURRENT do...
options         DDB                     #Include debugger
options         KTRACE                  #Include tracing

# no SCSI so...
options         NO_SCSI_SENSE

options 	USER_LDT

# System V support
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG

config		kernel	root on wd1

controller	isa0
controller	pci0

controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0

# IDE 1.2G Conner Perif, 204M Seagate on wdc0
controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk		wd0	at wdc0 drive 0        # Not using dos drive
disk		wd1	at wdc0 drive 1

# IDE CD rom on controller wdc1
controller 	wdc1	at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
device          wcd0

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr

# Mandatory, don't remove, support for Math Co-Processor
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

# Serial support
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr

# Our printer
device		lpt0	at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr

# ps/2 Mouse enabled
device		psm0	at isa? disable port "IO_KBD" conflicts tty irq 12 vector psmintr

controller	snd0
device 		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 10 drq 1 vector sbintr
device		mpu0	at isa? port 0x330 irq 5 drq 0
device		opl0	at isa? port 0x388

# pseudo devices
pseudo-device   vn
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	log
pseudo-device	sl	1
pseudo-device   ppp     1
pseudo-device   snp     2
pseudo-device	tun	1
pseudo-device	pty	4
pseudo-device	gzip		# Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device   speaker

# end of /sys/i386/conf/EAGRIFF

  ** Note that I was messing with network stuff prior to the problem, and rebuilt the kernel, so it may be in my new setup.

So is this a screwup I have in the pppd setup, or a bug?

  I hope I have givin enough information, and appreciate any response.

					Thank you in Advance
					Eric A. Griff