Date:      Sat, 4 Apr 1998 11:59:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD SCSI <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   turning on and reprobing scsi devices?

I had always thought that it was a Very Bad Idea to turn on/off SCSI
devices while the system is running.  But, from some of the things
I've been reading in the newsgroups and things I've heard, it seems
that there are people that do this fairly frequently, with no ill
effects.

So what's the definite answer?

Also, once I turn on a scsi device, how do I get the system to recognize
it (i.e. re-probe the bus)?  (also, when I turn a device off, how to get
the system to "forget" of its existence?)  My scsi controller is the
Adaptec AHA-2940AU PCI.  And, of course, I am running FreeBSD
2.2.5-RELEASE (soon to be 2.2.6).

Any and all help is appreciated.  Thanks!

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.