Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2013 08:13:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      mrboco@gmail.com
To:        fa.freebsd.stable@googlegroups.com
Cc:        John Mehr <jcm@visi.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, mrboco@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: svn - but smaller?

> I'm sorry, but even ignoring all of your whitespace and style(9)=20
> differences, your patch appears to go well beyond correcting a typo,=20
> which I can't spot anyway, though I'm sure John will know what it is.
>=20
> Care to explain a little more?

Sure. Typo is "strlen(command - total_bytes_written)" instead of "strlen(co=
mmand) - total_bytes_written".

But then I've noticed that John have used non-blocking IO (useless in our c=
ase) while not handling IO errors, that lead us to permanent cycling on EAG=
AIN. So I've replaced John's code with the simpler one that blocks on write=
() and removed fcntl(..., O_NONBLOCK).

Then I've run a lot of tests again my own repository located on the same ma=
chine and sometime svnup was locked permanently with send/recieve queues fi=
lled up (remote fetching was OK). I've digged a bit in svn code and deceide=
d that it would be helpful to use SO_KEEPALIVE and to set SNDBUF (at least)=
 to the COMMAND_BUFFER value.

> Also, what advantage, in this particular case, is there in statically=20
> linking?  Here it turns a 21.5K i386 binary into one of 575K.  If this=20
> makes it into base, as I hope it may, that seems a little excessive?

There is no advantage. I've compiled both binaries for myself to be able to=
 "svnup" hundreds of mahines w/o wondering about exact release =3D)