Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 2003 19:30:13 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
Cc:        threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about rtld-elf. Anyone?.. Anyone?

Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > > When it hangs, there's no windowing, so no mouse.
> >
> > I mean load a page which would ordinary cause it to hang, and
> > don't move the mose at all while you wait for it to load.  No
> > expose events means nothing else to run means effectively
> > single threaded.
>
> It doesn't *get* to the point of having *any* X-window open.
> In other words, I enter 'mozilla' at the prompt and see
> nothing at all.  After some of my local hacks, it loads
> 1/2 of the time and once it is loaded, it never hangs.

OK, so the initializatio is hanging, not the application itself;
it wasn't clear to me from your posts that Mozilla was not even
running and then it stops running).

I'd like to make the same suggestions with regard to Java* and
not moving the mouse or typing at all while it's tring to load.

That's probably not doing to make it work, but it will give us
some information: it will say that it's not a user event that
caused the problem.

Another thing you might try is to cause Xevents to be synchronous
(this is a debug option, eiher via libX11, or in the X server
startup).

I'd also like to make the same suggestion with regard to the
threads scheduling, to see if it's a bad asumption in the
mozilla code about object or code reentrancy being protected
against preemption.

The reason I'd like to see this is that, as you point out, it
works fine with libthr, which has this assumption, at least on
UP machines.

I'd also like to see someone with an SMP box using libthr who
has a problem with Mozilla... ;^)... but that can wait, I guess.

-- Terry