Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:36:37 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

> Linux has more dox online than my mom has cookbooks. So the simple fact is
> people are just going to have to write FreeBSD dox and stop asking WC to
> perform miracles. It just ISNT going to happen. WRITE till your hand falls
> of people or we are not going to get anywhere fast.

Hear hear!

Just to put this in perspective: Do you folks know when the last major
"mainstream" magazine in the U.S. published an article on FreeBSD?
I'll give you a hint: December 1996.  That was when BYTE published my
own article on the FreeBSD project and, since then, we've had a few
single-page blurbs here and there (and the latest one-pager in PC
Magazine this month was a very glad sight) but nothing approaching
feature length.  I have, in the same period of time, probably seen 30
feature length articles on Linux in the american trade press.

Now, just for a little contrast, let's go to Japan and look at their
mainstream press.  Whooee!  Articles about FreeBSD almost every month!
20 different books on the bookshelves, covering everything from "How
to be an ISP with FreeBSD" to "FreeBSD kernel internals."  Regular
columns on FreeBSD in several of their Unix magazines.  And you know
what?  In Japan, FreeBSD and Linux are neck-and-neck in terms of
users.  It's not the more usual "Linux kicks FreeBSD's butt" scenario
there at all, and that's certainly not because Walnut Creek CDROM (or
even Pacific HiTech) are doing amazingly good promotion in Japan.  PHT
is doing some promotion, yes, and for that they should be thanked, but
it's really the user base in Japan which is making ALL the difference
in terms of garnering market share.

So, in a nutshell, Brett is completely wrong about this.  It's not WC
holding FreeBSD's progress back, it's apathy on the part of those who
could be achieving everything that the Japanese FreeBSD users are
achieving if they put the same amount of energy into writing all that
stuff.  I've been approached by literally every book and magazine
publisher here in the U.S., each starving for books and articles on
FreeBSD, and if I were into that (which I most emphatically am not) I
could spend every waking hour of my life just writing articles and
still not catch up with demand.  I have, at various times, grabbed the
shirt of anyone I could think of in the FreeBSD community with even an
ounce of writing ability and offered them everything from whisky to
women if they would just PLEASE WRITE SOMETHING.

Do you hear me Frank?  Do you hear me Brett?  That's what this is all
about, and the statistics from Japan don't lie.  Press == Users.  You
don't need to go on a witch-hunt against the only company who's doing
ANYTHING to promote FreeBSD at the moment, that being a foolish attack
on one of your few allies, you simply need to help them and I think
I've already made it more than clear just how to go about doing that.
Flaming me or WC will not get articles written, only writing articles
will accomplish that.

- Jordan