Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 13:58:19 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bobj@ufl.edu>
To:        peter@a3.ca
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd not working after upgrade to 4.2S from 4.1R HELP

Bob Johnson wrote:

> > Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:42:03 -0800
> > From: "Peter" <peter@a3.ca>
> > Subject: sshd not working after upgrade to 4.2S from 4.1R HELP

> > - ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C07E1F.03A67360
> >
> > Hello=20
> >
> >     I have a little problems after I cvsup my src and post.  Then build =
> > and install a new kernel.  BTW im was on 4.1R now 4.2S.   Everything run =
> > great now but i can't seem to login ssh. =20
> >
> > this is the error msg i got under /var/log/messages
> >
> > Jan 14 11:28:23 crazie sshd[209]: no modules loaded for `sshd' service
> > Jan 14 11:28:23 crazie sshd[209]: fatal: PAM session setup failed[6]: =
> > Permission denied
> > Jan 14 11:28:23 crazie sshd[209]: no modules loaded for `sshd' service
> >

> I had a similar problem once caused by a change in /etc/pam.conf, but
> I don't think it has changed between 4.1R and 4.2S.  In my case, I
> needed the "other" section at the end of the file.
>
> I would look at /etc/pam.conf and /etc/ssh/sshd_config to see if
> anything changed that might explain this.  I think the 4.2S versions
> will be in /usr/src/etc and /usr/src/crypto/openssh: compare them
> to your backup copies of the old ones to see what changed.

I just upgraded a system to 4.2-STABLE and it does indeed have a
new sshd entry in /etc/pam.conf.  You need to add that to your
pam.conf.

In general, you need to run mergemaster after upgrading.  It steps
through the various configuration files, shows you which ones have
changed, and helps you merge your customizations into the new
versions.

- Bob