Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:03:21 +0100
From:      Jacques Caron <Jacques.Caron@IPsector.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dell inspiron 8000 display fading

I had the same kind of issue with an 8000 (two, actually) running bad old
W2K, and I believe it's actually a physical problem in the screen (the
backlight itself) or the "inverter board" that provides the power for the
backlight, something like that. On mine it was actually darker on one side
than the other. It seems that some software-controlled things can make it
come back to normal temporarily, like powercycle, switch to external
monitor and back, plug/unplug AC adapter, etc. (anything that will change
the backlight settings, in fact). Also, on mine reducing the backlight to a
very low setting reduced the occurence of the problem (at least temporarily).

Probably good for a trip back to Dell, hope you have a 3-year warranty...
Next problem on the line will be the battery dying :-(

Jacques.

At 12:20 20/02/2003, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>I'm running 5.0R for a few weeks now (X11 with Nvidia driver for GeForce2)
>and I noticed that sporadically after a few hours the display
>got darked and the X screen was recognizable only very faintly.
>
>I thought it was an APM thing but couldn't get awakened the screen to full
>brightness unless I rebooted the machine.
>
>Now it just happened again but rebooting resulted in normal brightness
>first but after a few seconds the screen fell back to irregularly
>intensity. Very strange. I don't hope that FreeBSD/X killed my
>display or NVIDIA chip.
>
>Any clues?
>
>--
>Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies@rwth-aachen.de

-- Jacques Caron, IP Sector Technologies
    Join the discussion on public WLAN open global roaming: