Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:12:33 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which version of Java to use?

--Boundary-02=_o5rs/m04LhPr824

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 21:49, Preston Crawford wrote:
> I want to install Java to use Ant/Tomcat/Struts stuff like that. Which JDK
> is the "right" one to install to get these to work properly? Can anyone
> tell me?

I'm no java guy but regarding the latest commit message I think 1.4.2:

jdk14 java   Java Development Kit 1.4.2=20
Update to 1.4.2p5.

Important changes since last patchset:

=2E jdk14 port is now JDK 1.4.2 based!
=2E JavaWS distributing with jdk
=2E Runway problem fixed (fork() is no more problem for java apps)
=2E Sound support updated
=2E IPv6 support overhauled
=2E Drag'n'Drop support fixed (require open-motif mods)

As for now there's no more outstanding issues with this port!

=46reeBSD port is also got a important of changes:

=2E optimized setup is now default (to get debuging bins/libs use WITH_DEBU=
G)

=2E bootstrap jdk autodetection.  If WITH_LINUX_BOOTSTRAP is not set, then
  it checks all known to work JDKs installed.  If nothing found, forces
  to install of linux-sun-jdk14

=2E Because of above change there's no NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP option anymore.  If
  native jdk14 is installed, it will be used by default.
=20