Date:      Tue, 07 May 1996 14:33:33 -0700
From:      Tom Proett <proett@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   quantum atlas vs adaptec

I grep'ed through the FAQ to see if there was any info on this but didn't
find it so here goes...

I bought a Quantum Atlas scsi disk drive (XP34300) and connected it to
my Adaptec 1742A scsi adaptor.  I have a micropolis disk as scsi id 0
and the atlas is scsi id 1.  The adaptec is scsi id 7.

I started from DOS and ran fdisk fine.  Then I tried format.  All went
well until the end when it was going to write the label.  At this point,
the system froze with the drive and adaptor busy lights on solid.
I tried doing a few things with the drive and almost everything resulted
in a freeze.  I contacted Quantum and they said there was a timing problem
between the atlas and the adaptec 1742 and gave me a firmware upgrade for
the disk.  It completed with no error but the freeze still happens.
Trying to access the disk from FreeBSD results in a freeze as well.

Any ideas?

Tom Proett