Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:03:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ian Kallen <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Checking RAM

While it might indeed be useful to fetch the last reboot's dmesg output
(stuff it into /var/log/dmesg.reboot or something), you can get the
physical ram from "sysctl hw.physmem"
-Ian

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, David Wolfskill wrote:
:>> Could someone tell me how you can check the amount of RAM both available
:>> and in use at a given time on FreeBSD 2.2.6 ?
:>Try
:>dmesg | more
:>soon after a reboot. Should tell you how much RAM was found on the way up.
:
:Well, re-booting a production server that's been up for several months
:just to find out how much real memory the kernel saw may not be a viable
:option.  :-}  Granted, someone else suggested "top", which is fine for
:this particular resource....
:
:However, as a follow-on to a discussion I was having with someone else
:(where I was doing a bunch of whining about the challenges I was having
:in "automatically" being able to determine the configuration of a given
:FreeBSD box), the random idea came up that *IF* the kernel could stash
:away the results of its probing in some way that might be amenable to
:access by suitably-privileged processes at times arbitrarily distant
:from re-boot (i.e, scannning logs & output of dmesg won't do the job),
:this *might* be sufficiently useful to warrant some effort.
:
:I suppose that one way to do a hack that could be adequate for a trial
:run would be to have /etc/rc run a script that would run "dmesg" & parse
:it, then stuff the results of this parsing into a file that could be
:read by a process running under effective GID "operator".
:
:The objective would be to record enough information that given the
:(properly-interpreted) content of the file in question, it would be
:possible to specify the components to re-construct the machine in
:question.
:
:In turn, the reason for this is for "disaster recovery preparedness".
:
:Does this seem as if it might possibly be of use to anyone else?

--
We do not colonize.  We conquer.  We rule.  There is no other way for
us.