Date:      Mon, 6 May 1996 16:35:29 -0600
From:      russ@ism.net (Russ Pagenkopf)
To:        " Stephen P. Butler" <stephen@dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel M/Bs with FreeBSD.

At 8:49 PM 5/7/96,  Stephen P. Butler wrote:
>Has anybody got any experience in using the Intel motherboards with
>FreeBSD?

:-)

>...Atlantis with the sound and ATI graphics chipset.  Would the on-board
>hardware be supported by FreeBSD

Commenting on the Atlantis, as this is what I have, 2.1R is working fine
for me. The only caveat is the problem with the conflict between the
onboard video and the scanning for serial ports locking up the video (was
this fixed in 2.2?). The fix is to this is when the kernel first starts to
boot, at the

Boot:

prompt type '-c' and then 'visual' at the next prompt and diable all of the
serial ports. This will allow you to boot and *promptly* build a new
kernel. The key to your new kernel is to edit sio.c and disable serial
ports 3 and 4 (I discussed this with someone and after testing you *have
to* edit sio.c, you can't just comment out 3 and 4 in the kernel config).
When you boot with your new kernel the first time, you still have to do the
-c and visual to initialize it correctly, but otherwise no problems.

It get easier with practice, I've done it five seperate times now ;-).

>and Xfree86 or would I need new drivers?

I've not been able to get Xfree86 to work with it yet, but I really haven't
tried very hard as X isn't real important to me anyway. (Windows drivers
for the video can be found at www.atitech.ca.)

>I'd appreciate any suggestions at all on what to look for when buying
>motherboards since I'm not overly familiar with PC hardware.

Depending on what your doing, I've found two things to be important, PCI
slots and the maximum amount of memory you can put on board. Intels (as far
as I know) max out at 128meg RAM, but they come with four PCI slots (the
most I've seen in the average MB. Someone mentioned earlier that some of
the ASUS MBs support up to 256meg (or was that 512meg?) RAM, but I haven't
found a supplier for them yet (again I haven't looked real hard :).

>I have looked at the handbook and noticed the suggestions on ASUS
>motherboards, but I haven't seen anybody advertising them in the UK.

Can't help you there, sorry.

rus

Russ Pagenkopf  (russ@ism.net)
Join the revolution!