Date:      Tue, 11 Oct 2005 09:05:51 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>
To:        George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CSS 1.X vs. 2.X attributes

--FlxqdQUIXA+HMkrt

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:38:30AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> On Monday 10 October 2005 13:32, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 01:25:11PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > > Bearing in mind that:
> > >
> > >     * min-width is a CSS 2.X (but not CSS 1.X) attribute
> > >     * it may improve the resizing of our front page
> > >     * the following mini-quote from a discussion me and des@ took par=
t in

> > > # Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:21:17 +0300
> > > # From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> > > #
> > > # On 2005-10-10 12:03, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav <des@des.no> wrote:
> > > # >Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
> > > # >> How about specifying a minimum of 765px and then a width of 75%?
> > > # >>
> > > # >> 	min-width: 765px;
> > > # >> 	width: 75%;
> > > # >>
> > > # >> That should do the trick.
> > > # >
> > > # > Ah, I didn't know about min-width; it's not in CSS1.
> > > #
> > > # You're right, of course.  It is part of CSS 2.X.  I'm not sure what=
 is
> > > # the CSS standards level we want to be compatible with, so I'll have=
> > > # ask the folks at freebsd-www about using min-width or other CSS 2.X
> > > # attributes.
> > >
> > > What is our current policy (assuming we actually _have_ one) about us=
ing
> > > CSS 1.X vs. 2.X attributes in stylesheets for the web site?
> >
> > I think it's probably OK.  They'll just get ignored by browsers that
> > don't understand them, and the alternative in this instance is to not
> > include it any way as I understand it.
>=20
> Please don't go for such experiments. It will open another can of worms, =
e.g.=20
> inter-browser inconsistencies thus different look'n feel.

I have personally decided that browsers that don't conform to standards
don't matter to me any more; once they stop working on 50% of the web,
they might get fixed. I guess the FreeBSD Project might need to bend to
them.

<stuff about recommended width snipped, as I don't have an opinion on that>

Ceri
--=20
not sure about the former.			  -- Einstein (attrib.)

--FlxqdQUIXA+HMkrt

--FlxqdQUIXA+HMkrt--