Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 12:19:56 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Torsten Blum <torstenb@vmunix.org>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, shige@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Subject:   Re: zsh re-org

[ torsenb@FreeBSD.org snipped from CC ]

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 09:59:55AM +0100, Torsten Blum wrote:
> Zsh 3.1.x is still beta and as long as this is the case I am, as the
> maintainer of ports/shells/zsh, _strongly_ against this. Having a stable
> shell is IMHO the most important thing. If anyone wants to play with new
> and cool features, that's fine for me. That's why we have zsh-devel.
> Replacing ports/shells/zsh with -devel forces everyone else to use a beta.
> This is definately not a good idea.

*sigh*

<rant style="reasonable">

That's pure crap! I've used zsh-devel for several months (as a
-static'd shell in /bin), and have never had problems with it. If you
ask me, my biggest beef with shells/zsh is the fact that the maintainer
ignores PRs related to it, forcing other committers such as Bill to take
over their job for them. It's the Darren Reed/ipfilter deal all over
again, and that just pisses the hell out of me.

On two occassions, shige has committed fixes to shells/zsh-devel and
even sent mail to you encouraging you to commit similar fixes. You
ignored them completely - I never saw a single reply from you - NOT EVEN
ONE! So much for being a maintainer.

Besides, I maintain x11/rxvt and since updating it to use RXVT 2.7.1
(Chris Piazza updated to 2.7.2), it has been using a developmental
version of RXVT. I used rxvt-devel for several months prior, and even
submitted a port PR for that, but Chris just merged it with the current
x11/rxvt port. Go figure. I've yet to hear people complaing about this
port breaking anything on their system.

Anyway, I back this merge. I will continue to do so until somebody gives
me a reason why zsh-devel is broken in ways zsh isn't. And until you can
prove you're gonna maintain the port!

</rant>

[ Annelise: what do you mean, "keep the user's history"? Did you look at
  the zshall/zshenv manpages? I keep user history with env. vars. ]

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>