Date:      Sun, 06 Mar 2011 14:25:15 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Grzegorz Blach <magik@roorback.net>
Cc:        bf1783@gmail.com, "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD needs fresh Blood!

On 03/06/2011 10:37, Grzegorz Blach wrote:
> On 03/06/2011 18:35, b. f. wrote:
>>> I read last post Martin Wilke's blog called "FreeBSD needs fresh Blood!"
>>>
>>> First of all, I think it's difficult to testing ports

No argument there, it can be hard work.

>>> I'm using testing release of VirtualBox,
>>> but for build this port I must download patches,
>>> apply its on my own tree and merge its with official ports
>>> using portshaker.

You could also maintain completely separate trees, or subtrees with CVS.

>>> It's possible to build testing ports outside tree,
>>> but I must build every port separately, since `Make` don't known how to
>>> track dependencies.

Setting PORTSDIR for your builds may help. Read ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk for
more information about that.

>> There is always going to be some added work involved in testing.  Have
>> you considered using multiple trees, if you have sufficient disk
>> space? Or using a version control system?
>

> Multiple trees don't help me a lot, portmaster became fools.

Not sure what you mean by that, but portmaster respects PORTSDIR as well.

> There is address for repository, but I still need merging trees
> and rebuild index for portmaster.

portmaster does not require the INDEX unless you tell it to. If you have
a ports tree to operate against portmaster doesn't need the INDEX at all.

hope this helps,

Doug

			-- OK Go