Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2017 20:13:45 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Low-level format an SATA-drive?

It used to be, performing a "low-level format" could get a few more
months -- may be a year -- out of a failing drive. How would I try that
today?

The camcontrol has a "format" subcommand, but it just gives me an error:

    # camcontrol format /dev/ada3
    You are about to REMOVE ALL DATA from the following device:
    camcontrol: scsiformat: error sending inquiry

Is my drive simply beyond repair, or is camcontrol being "naive" in some
way?

    -mi