Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 10:35:55 -0800
From:      jbarbee@singular.com (John Barbee)
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: !!! pn0: watchdog timeout

At 09:17 PM 4/1/99 -0500, Bill Paul wrote:

>First of all, you didn't tell me what version of FreeBSD you have, you
>didn't say in what kind of machine the card is installed, and you didn't
>say exactly what brand/model of ethernet card you have. It's important
>that you do so because I can't see your machine from here. The
>cause of the errors could be one of a few things:

Sorry.  Allow me go describe the situation.
This is all part of a medical report/profile processing pipeline working
via FTP.  We received two Compaq Deskpros with Netgear FA310TX
Rev D1.  The machines are identical.  One of these will become
the main ftp server.  However, since we're still in the development stage
I put OSs on both.  I installed FreeBSD 3.1 release on the machine in
question called NPF.  Redhat 5.2 was installed on the other machine
called NPL at the client's request.  These machine do not have any other
PCI cards.  The video cards are AGP so the sho up on a different bus.
These netgear card show up on IRQ 11 but as far as I know that
shouldn't be a problem.

The problem occurs when I'm moving files from Server7 (a FreeBSD
2.2.8 machine with a DEC chipset card, it's a production server and
I've never had a problem).  Server7 is the current ftp server that the
processing pipeline is using.  So all I'm trying to do is copy the relevant
files from the current to the new ftp servers.  There's about 500MB worth
of stuff that needs to be moved.

At first I thought that it was a SMB problem.  When I used LeechFTP
the file transfers were going ok.  However, when I increased the number
of threads (well, LeechFTP calls them threads but they're really sessions)
to 10 all the sudden the same pn0: watchdog timeout came up and Leech
said that connection was reset by peer.  So, this isn't application specific.

I've tried different cables.  I've tried different ports on the hub.

Since the Deskpro with redhat on it didn't have a problem with the same
file transfer (successful with SMB so I didn't bother with trying FTP) I went
ahead and swapped ethernet cards.  However, the problem persisted, so it
wasn't the ethernet card.

However, those cards came together.  I wanted to makes sure they didn't
come from a bad batch.  I took the same model card from my HP running NT.
I put that working card in the Deskpro with FreeBSD and the problem persisted.

At startup the machine popped up that autoneg was successful and the card
was set to 10Mbps half-duplex.  The hub is a Dayna, Minihub-8.  My HP,
Server7, NPF, NPL, my boss's HP and a Cobalt Qube all come off of that hub
so the hub is fine.

Personally, I'm at a loss.
I really do hope it's not a problem with the driver and it's just some
setting that I'm missing.

john.