Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:59:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: my bootable CDs...

On 21-Aug-01 Matthew Jacob wrote:
>> > mathom.nas.nasa.gov > ls boot
>> > TRANS.TBL       cdboot*         loader*         loader.rc
>> >
>> > The fixit CDROM (disk2) has the full complement of /boot, including
>> > defaults
>> > and Forth code, etc.
>> >
>> > It seems a quick and cheap thing to try is to put the full /boot
>> > complement
>> > into disk1's /boot.
>>
>> We don't use the 4th stuff for installation booting.  Look at loader.rc, it
>> doesn't include /boot/loader.4th, so none of the other stuff is needed.  The
>> loader.rc just loads a kernel and boots.
>
> I'm not as stupid as you seem to think. I'm suggesting that this would be a
> cheap thing to try to see if it solves this specific problem. *Then* you
> might
> have a chance finding where the breakage is more quickly.

Ahh, I misunderstood.  I didn't think you were stupid (and don't think that in
general) just perhaps temporarily confused. :)  It may be that the 4th code
does extra smarts with the filenames that the loader itself doesn't do, though
arguably the support for handling these filenames should be in the cd9660 fs in
libstand that the loader uses.