Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2022 15:05:03 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Pat Maddox <pat@patmaddox.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: lang/rust is super slow to build

On Dec 12, 2022, at 2:27 PM, Pat Maddox <pat@patmaddox.com> wrote:

> Using poudriere, lang/rust is at 2 hours and counting on my 10-core i9 =
w/ 128 gigs of RAM.
>=20
> Does that sound right? It seems extremely slow to me, but this is my =
first time building it.
>=20
> How long does it take others to build? What options are you using, or =
any other suggestions for shortening the time?

It used to take much longer than that on my 6-core AMD system with 16 GB =
RAM---about 9 hours, from memory.  It's what led me to install and set =
up ports-mgmt/sccache-overlay to speed up subsequent builds, which it =
did (but which brought its own problems).

Because I use them just as ports build dependencies, latterly, I've been =
experimenting with using poudriere-devel to download dependencies like =
rust, gcc*, and llvm* from the FreeBSD.org package repositories rather =
than build them locally.  It's been hit and miss, with options conflicts =
sometimes causing a refusal to download the FreeBSD.org version of the =
package.

Finally, I agree this seems extremely slow---not just lang/rust but =
other compilers like gcc* and llvm*.  It's a mystery to me that I can =
rebuild the entire FreeBSD source tree (which includes some flavour of =
llvm) in at least half the time (or less) it takes to build just a =
single llvm* port. =3D:-O

I guess the OS build includes various build-time optimisations, so I, =
too, would be interested in knowing if there is some way of speeding up =
ports builds of rust, gcc*, and llvm*.

Cheers,

Paul.