Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:26:48 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Svein Halvor Halvorsen <svein.h@lvor.halvorsen.cc>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Binary upgrade from legacy version

--------------enigD05E512F8B1F9429287787D0

Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
> Hi, list!
>=20
> I want to upgrade two freebsd machines I have from 6.1-SECURITY and
> 5.3-RELEASE respectively, to the latest 7.0 release of FreeBSD. I
> don't want to cvsup and build, but prefer to use prebuilt binaries.
> Also I'd like to avoid wiping the systems, and starting afresh.
>=20
> I know this might break my systems and are willing to take the risk.
> I also reqognize that I probably have to rebuild a lot of ports
> afterwards.
>=20
> What steps do I take to increase my probablity of success? How do I
> do this the cleanest way possible? Could I just get all the
> distfiles and put them on top of my old system? How do I find files
> that are to be deleted from the old system?

The cleanest way possible really is wipe and reinstall.  For your
5.3 systems, I'd strongly recommend you do exactly that -- 5.3 is almost =
certainly too old to support the newer upgrading mechanisms that have
come into use since it was released and upgrading by cvsup+rebuild will
be exceedingly tedious, as you'll have to take it in a number of steps to=

get all the way to 7.0.

For your 6.1 systems, you can update by cvsup+rebuild to RELENG_6_3 in
one step, or via there to RELENG_7_0 in two. (Actually, you can probably
do 6.1->7.0 in one step, but it's not guaranteed to work properly)  You
will need to rebuild all your installed software, which is not a trivial =

undertaking but once you've got past the first few hurdles rapidly become=
s=20
nothing more than time-consuming.

If your 6.1 system is using a system installed from one of the official
iso images and hasn't been locally rebuilt (upgrading via freebsd-updates=

is OK though) then there is a quicker way.  See

  http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007-11.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20