Date:      Sat, 21 Nov 1998 01:41:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Troy Settle <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        Deepwell Internet <freebsd@deepwell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frontpage

I don't know the plusses and minuses of each option you describe, but I
don't see a problem with either 2.2.x or 3.0 FreeBSD running the BSDI
port.

The current configuration on one of my servers (2.2-STABLE) includes:

	Apache 1.3.1
	SSL
	FPE (the 1.3.0 patch applies cleanly)
	PHP 3.0.3 (need to up this to 3.0.5)
	MySQL 3.21.33

It works a charm with 50+ virtual hosts (only a few are FP), never giving
me a problem.

Also, I did have mod_perl in there, but decided that I could do without
the bloat.

<Extra Info>

If you go for the above config, build/apply each item in the order I
listed.  It will work without much fuss at all (though you might want to
edit src/Configuration[.tmpl]).

Once built, you will need to play around with the configuration a bit to
get it working (run fp_install.sh on the stock configuration before going
on to modify it for SSL).

What I had best luck with, was binding apache to localhost, then using a
<VirtualHost> directive for everything else, including the root web.

</Extra Info>

Good luck with whatever option you go with,

--
  Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
  Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services