Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 18:11:25 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        liang@ems.guangzhou.gd.cn, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does 3.3-release support CallBack?

> > And, When I install 3.3-release, I want to use Callback too, is it
> > supported too?
>
> Out of the box, I doubt that you'll be able to _install_ using ppp
> callback. Once you've got FreeBSD installed, the story changes. :-)

Indeed.  Getty(8) ain't built into the /stand stuff.  However, you
could be smart (?)... remember, you've got ppp(8) :-)

There's nothing stopping you setting up callback (with a reasonable
DELAY), doing the initial connection, then going into ``term'' mode
and waiting for the RING.  A quick ATA followed by a ~p and you
should be in business !

I've never tried it, but the theory's sound.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>