Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 14:55:42 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        Remy.Card@masi.ibp.fr (Remy CARD)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: finger @ bug (fwd)

> 	This has just been sent to the linux-security mailing list.  Since
> the FreeBSD's fingerd also has the bug, could someone please integrate the
> fix?
>
> 		Remy

Since there is no bug, I hope the answer is a loud NO!  :-)

This is not a bug, but is rather in reality questionable featurism.

By default, FreeBSD 2.0 ships with "-s" installed on the inetd line
for fingerd.  (I always remove it... one of my pet peeves).  Forwarding
is not always undesirable:  I have at least one use for it where there
is no other solution.  It's also been valuable when doing things like
debugging SLIP sites with marginal routing:  "finger @slip-host@slip-server"
is a great way to see if the machine is actually down, or if the routing
is just hosed (again).  I also detest the "must provide username", although
I certainly appreciate sites that require this crud.

However, since this issue has already been addressed in a configurable way
within the code, there should be no need to readdress it.  :-)

man 8 fingerd

... Joe