Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2018 18:27:45 -0700
From:      John Kennedy <warlock@phouka.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   CRC32Mounting from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default failed with error 2

I'm trying to get my RPI3B+ to boot up with a ZFS root.  I've seeded the OS
with FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20180719-r336479.img (and it's
predecessors 20180709-r336134 and 20180618-r335317).

I've more or less copied the EFI/U-Boot partition over as-is, and that part
seems fine.  The EFI loader iterates through my partitions, finds the ZFS root
(zfs:zroot/ROOT/default), clearly reads the /boot/defaults/loader.conf and
downloads the kernel, umodem.ko and zfs.ko so it's obviously able get the data
off of there.

    [/boot/loader.conf]
	hw.usb.template=3
	umodem_load="YES"

	zfs_load="YES"

The kernel boots.  That parts looks relatively normal except for this message
during the boot:

	... Instruction Set Attributes 0 = <Trying to mount root from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default []...
	CRC32Mounting from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default failed with error 2>
	: unknown file system.

(It's possible that the error is landing in the middle of the rest of the info
dump that after the CPU 0 processor feature dump.)

It eventually fails and gives me a mountroot> prompt.  It prints out a good-
looking vfs.root.mountfrom (=zfs:zroot/ROOT/default) variable.

Trying devices like zfs:zoort (wrong) and zfs:zroot/ROOT/default (should be Ok)
results in this, much like the kernel startup error:

	Mounting from zfs:zroot/ROOT/default failed with error 2: unknown file system

At the mountroot prompt, I don't see the ZFS partition directly (but mmcsd0s2a
is shown).  At the loader prompt, lsdev lists zfs:zroot as a zfs device, and
"lszfs zroot" shows ROOT (+$MOS, $FREE & $ORIGIN), "lszfs zroot/ROOT" shows
default, but I can't get below that.  "ls" and "ls /boot" show what you'd
expect to see off of the root filetree from zroot/ROOT/default.

I literally made the image by creating a UFS version to build the ZFS version,
same kernel, so you'd think there wouldn't be any incompatibilities.

Any suggestions?