Date:      Mon, 12 Dec 2022 19:42:47 -0800
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        mark@tinka.africa
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/rust is super slow to build

--00000000000074c7a305efad6a88

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 7:38 PM Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

> On 12/12/22 21:27, Pat Maddox wrote:
>
> > Using poudriere, lang/rust is at 2 hours and counting on my 10-core i9
> > w/ 128 gigs of RAM.
> >
> > Does that sound right? It seems extremely slow to me, but this is my
> > first time building it.
> >
> > How long does it take others to build? What options are you using, or
> > any other suggestions for shortening the time?
>
> I've found the only way to shorten the time is to install the binary
> package.
>
> It normally takes a couple of hours to build on my systems when I use
> the Ports, which I don't mind. I do have some systems that were not well
> configured for space when they were installed, and building Rust on
> these consumes all the disk space during the build phase. For these, I
> just upgrade from binary and I'm done with it. Takes all of 2 minutes.
>
> Mark.

I swapped to binary upgrades for this port=E2=80=A6it would fill up swap an=
d die
before completing, after hours of work. Never understood why WORKDIR
pointed to my small /tmp partition vs my generous /usr filesystem.

--=20
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/

--00000000000074c7a305efad6a88

Tinka &lt;mark@tinka.africa&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_=
quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-=
style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><br>
On 12/12/22 21:27, Pat Maddox wrote:<br>
&gt; Using poudriere, lang/rust is at 2 hours and counting on my 10-core i9=
&gt; w/ 128 gigs of RAM.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Does that sound right? It seems extremely slow to me, but this is my <=
br>
&gt; first time building it.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; How long does it take others to build? What options are you using, or =
&gt; any other suggestions for shortening the time?<br>
I&#39;ve found the only way to shorten the time is to install the binary <b=
r>
package.<br>
It normally takes a couple of hours to build on my systems when I use <br>
the Ports, which I don&#39;t mind. I do have some systems that were not wel=
l <br>
configured for space when they were installed, and building Rust on <br>
these consumes all the disk space during the build phase. For these, I <br>
just upgrade from binary and I&#39;m done with it. Takes all of 2 minutes.<=
br>
Mark.<br>
t=E2=80=A6it would fill up swap and die before completing, after hours of w=
ork. Never understood why WORKDIR pointed to my small /tmp partition vs my =
class=3D"gmail_signature">Paul Beard / <a href=3D"http://www.paulbeard.org/=

--00000000000074c7a305efad6a88--