Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 11:34:18 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Jason Watkins <jason_watkins@pobox.com>
Cc:        phantom@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: bugzilla-2.14.1

On Thu 2002-04-11 (01:39), Jason Watkins wrote:
> It would be nice to have this install somewhere besides /data.default, since
> I use vhosts and will have to copy stuff around on each update.

The ports team for FreeBSD can do one of two things: Provide web
applications in the default web root for users so they "just work" with
minimal configuration, or provide web applications in another location
and force users to purposefully add an Alias (or more) for each
application.

I think the first is the better option.  I can't imagine people who are
capable of using virtual hosts being unable to use a new default web
root and unable to do the Alias bits necessary to get the application to
work in their virtual host.

For example, an excerpt from my configuration:

# $Header: /usr/local/etc/apache/RCS/vhost.conf,v 1.31 2002/04/06 14:43:13 nbm Exp $
#

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName pike.moria.org
        ServerAlias pike

        DocumentRoot "/usr/local/www/pike/data"
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache/pike.moria.org/error_log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache/pike.moria.org/access_log common

        Alias   /phpMyAdmin     /usr/local/www/data.default/phpMyAdmin
        Alias   /phpPgAdmin     /usr/local/www/data.default/phpPgAdmin

        Alias   /achievo        /usr/local/www/data.default/achievo

        Alias   /diveintopython /usr/local/share/doc/diveintopython
        Alias   /python         /usr/local/share/doc/python2.2/

        Alias   /apache         /usr/local/share/doc/apache
        Alias   /php            /usr/local/share/doc/php

        Alias   /postgresql     /usr/local/share/doc/postgresql/html

        Alias   /docbook-tdg    /usr/local/share/doc/docbook-tdg

        Alias   /exim           /usr/local/share/doc/exim/html

        Alias   /bugzilla       /usr/local/www/bugzilla

        Alias   /bugzilla-doc   /usr/local/share/doc/bugzilla/html

        Alias   /tomcat          /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat4.0.3/webapps/tomcat-docs/

        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteCond %{HTTP:Authorization} ^(.*)
        RewriteRule ^/Zope(.*) /usr/local/www/cgi-bin.default/Zope.cgi$1 [env=HTTP_CGI_AUTHORIZATION:%1,t=application/x-httpd-cgi,l]
</VirtualHost>

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner