Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:09:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vnconfig on bootup?

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Christopher Michaels wrote:

> Ok.  I'm going to add to my own message, because I've done some digging
> since I sent the original message.
>
> vnconfig is in /usr/sbin/.  Which means (I'll assume) that "vnconfig -a"
> cannot be called before "mount -a" is called.
>
> So now my problem becomes, can anyone think of a way to easily mount my vnX
> devices after vnconfig -a has been called.  I can add the appropriate lines
> to an rc file if I had an idea of how to go about doing this.

After mount -a has been called?

You can put your commands in a script to be executed on boot in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d.  It needs to have the characteristics of any
shell script--#!/bin/sh as the first line, and permissions that make
it executable.  Mine seem to be owned root:wheel.

Alternatively, you can put such commands in /etc/rc.conf.local, which
will be read if it exists (/etc/defaults/rc.conf includes instructions
to read this file if it exists).

> My current problem is that I have the entries in my /etc/fstab, but I have
> to leave marked "noauto".  If I do not the system will fail to boot with a
> "Filesystem mount failed, startup aborted" error message.

I'd take them out of fstab.  You don't want a boot failing for this
kind of reason.

> Would there be a downside to copy/moving /usr/sbin/vnconfig to
> /sbin/vnconfig, and then I could add the appropriate lines to an rc file?

Yes.  As you would see by running ldd /usr/sbin/vnconfig, vnconfig
depends on some libraries; so the file system containing the libraries
needs to be loaded for it to run.  You could statically compile it so
it does not depend on anything, but then it will take more memory and
possibly produce some other problems.

Annelise