Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:21:35 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        satimis <satimis@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Update and install new packages immediate after installation

satimis <satimis@yahoo.com> writes:

> Please advise after installation completed how to read on CVS on the website
> to fetch fresh ports and src tree that I need installing further packages
> and updating the system.  Also how to read about its package management and
> how to startup.  I expect first to update the system before doing any
> further installations and/or customizations. Pointers would be appreciated.

There are sections on these topics in the FreeBSD Handbook.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

Specifically, installing new ports has its own section
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
and for getting updates (generally through cvsup rather than directly
accessing cvs remotely), see the section on the "cutting edge":
 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html