Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 1999 05:37:18 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "whiteouts" in rm manpage

Dann Lunsford wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 04:50:54PM +0000, Richard Tobin wrote:
 > > IIRC, whiteouts are (would be?) used for the union filesystem (similar
 > > to Sun's "translucent" filesystem).  The union filesystem allows one
 > > filesystem to be mounted "over" another, where you see files in both
 > > filesystems with those in the "upper" filesystem overriding those in
 > > the (typically read-only) "lower".  A whiteout in the upper filesystem
 > > hides one in the lower, allowing you to delete files from the union.
 > > Undeleting such a whited-out file would just be a question of removing
 > > the whiteout to expose the original again.
 >
 > [...]  So, what would
 > you do to "white out" a file ?  Create an empty file with the same
 > name?  Or is there some special attribute you give files on
 > a union fs?  Guess it's hit-the-code time.

It's a special file mode, see stat(2):

   #define        S_IFWHT  0160000  /* whiteout */

I guess that a file with that mode is automatically created
in the "upper" layer of a union filesystem when you try to
delete a file that is present in the "lower" layer.  At least
I'm not aware of any other way to create such a special file
(and why would someone want to do that anyway?).  The union
fs code should contain further details...  :-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)