Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2020 17:05:06 +0400
From:      Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ifconfig_*="DHCP" in absence of server

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 7:31 AM Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:

> Look for "background_dhclient" in the rc.conf manual page, it merely adds
> "-b"
> to dhclient flags.

Thanks, this indeed improved things for the "netif" part of the problem.
But it still waited 30s for "default route interface". I found the
${defaultroute_delay} variable in /etc/rc.d/defaultroute, which isn't
documented, and set it to "1s" in /etc/rc.conf. This finally did the trick.

However, the networking on FreeBSD machines started to come up even longer.
I suspect this is because dhclient gradually increases the interval between
DHCP requests if it doesn't get an answer. I haven't found a way to
circumvent this. Any suggestions are welcome.