Date:      	Mon, 27 Apr 1998 18:01:42 +0300
From:      Andriy I Pilipenko <pai@nbu.zp.ua>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange problem with memory

Hi!

In my organization I have two PC servers running FreeBSD. One
have 32M RAM and other have 64M RAM.

I've tried to compile mico-c++ on this machines but C++ compiler
constantly complained about shortage of memory. For monitoring
memory usage I used `top' and saw, that compiler allocated more
than 30M of memory. At the same time system had about 10M free
RAM and 40M free swap (on 64M system, of course). On 32M system
digits is different (0M free RAM and about 60M free swap), but
compiling aborts with the same message - "virtual memory
exhausted".

Next, I run GIMP and tried to load very large image. Things
repeated - system had plenty of free memory and at the same time
application complained about shortage of memory :(

Any idea or suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Please CC to my e-mail! I'm not subscribed to -questions.

--
National Bank of Ukraine
Zaporizhia regional department          Andriy I Pilipenko