Date:      Fri, 02 Oct 98 09:15:45 -0800
From:      "Dan Baker"<dbaker@illuminetss7.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <trzy@powernet.net>
Subject:   Re: Switching from Win95 (yuck) to FreeBSD (mmmm)

     FreeBSD can mount, read and write Dos Partition....
     BUT it cannot be booted from a DOS partition. This would be a bad idea
     anyway, as FATFS has no file ownership or permissions. It's also slow
     and wasteful of diskspace.

     DOS Will only boot from controller 0, drive 0, partition 1 (drive C:)
     so it shouldn't be moved. Drive 1 (D: and E:) should be repartitioned
     for BSD with a single partition using the entire drive, and then the
     regular slice arrangement. 4G is a lot of disk space for a FreeBSD
     desktop machine, unless you have some pretty heavy-duty applications
     on it (database, multi-media, CD writing, major programming projects,
     web/ftp server, etc.) Since Windows apps bloat so badly, you may want
     to leave the E: partition where it is and just recreate the extended
     partition as a FreeBSD partition.

     The process is very easy when using sysinstall. Easier by a long shot
     than fdisk.

     One way to squeeze a little more performance from the machine would be
     to use FIPS or Partition Magic to free up about 256M of Drive 0 (C:)
     to use for the root and swap partitions as so:

     Drive 0
         Slice 1 Windows C: (1.3 G)
         Slice 2 FreeBSD
               root      (128M)
               swap      (128M)

     Drive 1
         Slice 1 Windows D: (2G)
         Part 2 FreeBSD
               var       (128M)
               home      (512M)
               usr       (1G)
               usr/X11R6 (remainder)
     Note: I am making some assumptions here about your machine and the
     amount of swap needed, the types of applications you want to install,
     etc. Your Milage May Vary

     Dan Baker