Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 23:47:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

Let's take the subject literally and look at the Price ($$$) of FreeBSD
from the POV of an industry that FreeBSD is well suited to, the small to
medium ISP.  We've reached the point that we need to start using addresses
from our second class C.  Adding an alias from the second class C to the
NIC card in our BSDi 2.0.1 boxes caused them to loose the MAC address of
the router.  We man-ed, route-ed, and arp-ed 'till our fingers were numb,
no success.  Meanwhile my FreeBSD workstation was more than happy to sit
on both Cs.  Is that problem fixed in BSDi 3.0?  ????  Assuming it is,
what would it cost?  5 16 user licenses, 1 16 user with source $8448.20,
tax included.  For that price upgrades for 60 days, support for 60 days.
What'd FreeBSD cost us?  A bit of bandwidth for a little while.  Upgrades?
Same price, and unlimited.  Support?  Right here.  We now have one BSDi
box.  Within the next few weeks I won't be able to say that. :)

How could anyone with any exposure to the business world expect anything
but a demand for secrecy during early negotiations.  Whatever comes out of
any discussions with commercial entities (and the green Martians) can only
help the FreeBSD community.

As long as the powers that be at FreeBSD.org keep producing one of the
best operating systems available, at any price, why worry about a few
closed discussions with the "private sector".  Hell, if they want to get
together at Stonehenge once a month and chant and howl at the full moon
naked let 'em.

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD