Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:20:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        eupolis@cm.nu (Matt Asics)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Support

Matt Asics wrote:
> I was wondering if there is or will ever be support for Winmodems or
> modems just designed with windows in mind.  I own a SupraExpress 33.6i
> PnP Internal which requires drivers and does not automatically get
> assigned a com port.  My bios is also not PnP compatible with newer
> hardware, so you can imagine the problem I'm in.  I am most likely going
> to buy a new(real) modem, but I was still wondering if there was a way
> to get this old one working.  Thanks for your time.

I am unaware of any plans to accommodate the Winmodem.

Their design is flawed enough that you would still not want it,
driver or not -- using the cpu to handle all aspects of serial communication
is a Bad Thing.

One sure way to beat the PnP problem is to use an external modem,
if you've got a "good" serial port (16550 - check dmesg) free.
These are usually more tractable than internal modems, and also
/seem/ to work better. Besides, they have more blinkenlights, which
is important.

Dave
--
Sancho Panza: `Microsoft Windows NT Server is the most secure network
	operating system available.'