Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 13:08:21 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: doc/ tree breakage on Sunday 15th August

Hi,

A couple of people have pointed out that this is appropriate for people
tracking/building -stable as well.  Please take note.

----- Forwarded message from Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> -----

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:53:01 +0100
From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To: doc@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org, committers@freebsd.org

Heads up,

[ cc: to -doc, -current, -committers, reply-to: nik ]

On Sunday 15th August the doc/ tree will break.  John Polstra will be
performing surgery on the CVS repository[1], and when he's completed
that I will be going in to fix up the build system infrastructure (all
the Makefiles, primarily).

If things go smoothly, the doc/ tree should be back and working by late
Sunday evening (BST).  If things go badly then it will be back and working
by the end of Monday evening (BST).

Prior to making these changes, John will announce a freeze on the doc/
repository.

While this is going on, the doc/ tree will fail to build.  This will
impact on:

 *  The web site, which uses the doc/ tree to build the FAQ, Handbook, and
    tutorials.

    On Thursday or Friday I will be altering the "webbuild" script so that
    it uses archived copies of the doc/ tree when rebuilding the web site.
    The site will therefore not be affected, however, any commits made to
    the FAQ, Handbook, or tutorials after I make the change will not show
    up on the site.

    The rest of the web site is unaffected.

    This will also affect our web site mirrors.  I have been e-mailing
    the contacts for the mirrors to advise them, but a lot of the messages
    have been bouncing.  Be prepared for some of the web site mirrors to
    either be out of date or broken for 24 hours or so.

 *  "make release".  Make sure you build with "NODOC=YES", otherwise the
    release build will fail.

    Jordan might want to make this the default -- although for what will
    hopefully amount to less than 24 hours of breakage it's probably not
    worthwhile.

 *  Obviously, any -doc committers should get any commits they want in
    before the work by Saturday afternoon at the latest.

So you know, there's a lot of work lined up in the queue ready to happen
when this surgery is complete (I've been putting it off, because I didn't
want to load the repository up with new files and then be moving them all
over the place) including:

 *  French translations of the FAQ and Handbook

 *  The FAQ in DocBook

 *  The beginnings of an infrastructure for http://docs.freebsd.org/

[1] The nature of this surgery has been discussed extensively on the -doc
    mailing list, so I won't repeat that here.
--
 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs

----- End forwarded message -----