Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 23:16:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

 * Well, my take on this is that you're trying to do the impossible.

Well, I have been talking about this for a long time.  I wonder where
you were.

 * If you want make world to run on it's own binaries/libs, then the
 * kernel has to support those, and short of making kludges like the
 * one Peter has put around the __getcwd() (Which I thought worked ??)
 * there is no way to guarantee that it can be done.

A kludge is fine.

 * Besides, doing a make world on -current sources on a 2.X machine
 * falls way short of the goal.  All of /etc is still the old stuff.
 *
 * I think it is time to say:
 *
 * 	 If you want to get from 2.X to 3.X, you install a 3.X snapshot

I'm afraid you are *completely* missing the point, Kamp-san.  People
want to build -current on a 2.X fileserver so they can install it on a
3.X client.  (Or vice versa.)  It was working until the getcwd()
change went in.  Peter thought he could fix it.  We are now trying to
see why it doesn't work.

I'll let Terry take care of the rest to educate you on the difference
of the host system and the target system.  (I can't believe I'm saying
this. ;)

Satoshi