Date:      Tue, 3 May 2016 15:42:50 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PHP Download site

--UAph4ce9hchKOOWudRD5mQc1XKR0QR38O
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-ports@freebsd.org

--MouHF3nSocFL15T4HPeLkCgVlkV2tdFgc

On 03/05/2016 15:14, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
> I'm upgrading lang/php56 this morning using poudriere and we're still i=
> the "fetch" phase after almost ten minutes. Looking at the log, it is
> fetching from http://de.php.net/. I've noticed this same slowness befor=
> as well with php70 being downloaded from Germany.
>=20
> Is there a reason for this default, especially where it is so slow?

This used to be a much more common occurrence before the widespread
prevalence of CDNs with points of presence all round the world.  Seems
PHP has not (yet) jumped on that bandwagon.

There's a number of things you can add to /etc/make.conf to help speed
things up.  Try:

MASTER_SORT=3D	.in

which means 'prefer sites which are in .in' (yes, I know you aren't
physically in India: just choose a country close to where you actually
are...)

Or this:

RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=3D yes

which means shuffle the list of download sites randomly

Or this:

MASTER_SITE_FREEBSD=3D	yes

which means initially, ignore the official download sites, and always go
try the FreeBSD distfiles mirror at first.

Those may be more or less effective at speeding up your download
depending on exactly on where you're downloading from and where your
downloading to.  You'll have to experiment.

If you only want to apply this sort of thing to a specific port, use the
form:

=2Eif ${.CURDIR:M*portname}
RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES=3D yes
=2Eendif