Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 1997 08:10:26 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        greg@uswest.net (Greg Rowe)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound and CS4231

> Intel TC430HX motherboards with on-board sound. I'm using Luigi's sound drivers
> from 09/08. Playing audio CD's is fine and cat'ing a test au file to dev/audio
> works. Using RealAudio only works in 8 bit mode, 16 bit gives a "can't open
> device error". RealAudio in 8 bit mode is shakey at best and gives me a lot of
> errors:

I am wondering, how do you know that it is working in 8 bit and not 16 ?

> Sep 19 12:26:12 psv /kernel: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFRAGMENT 0x0003000c
> Sep 19 12:26:12 psv /kernel: SNDCTL_DSP_SUBDIVIDE yet unimplemented
> Sep 19 12:26:12 psv /kernel: dsp write channels 1
> Sep 19 12:26:12 psv /kernel: dsp reset

those are just diagnostic messages and I will remove them from the next
snap.

> The integrated sound info from Intel's specs is :
>
> "a Yamaha* OPL3-SA audio CODEC is integrated onto the motherboard. The OPL3-SA

i'll try to get one such board (with the yamaha board).

>  Am I missing anything in the configuration, or is this on-board sound just not
> supported fully yet ? I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

don't know, it seems to work. The messages are ok, you should try to
use "pcmio" to do some record and playback with various formats.

	Luigi