Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2022 07:55:11 -0800
From:      Mel Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Pat Maddox <pat@patmaddox.com>, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lang/rust is super slow to build

On 2022-12-12 11:27, Pat Maddox wrote:
> Using poudriere, lang/rust is at 2 hours and counting on my 10-core i9
> w/ 128 gigs of RAM.
>
> Does that sound right? It seems extremely slow to me, but this is my
> first time building it.

That sounds typical.  You can use ccache and tmpfs to speed it up a
little bit, but both rust and llvm are computationally massive.

Even worse, poudriere doesn't need to build it.  If you aren't changing
its options there's no functional difference between building it locally
and installing from the public pkg repo.  Poudriere does have the
ability to install from pkgs, but there is a 2-year-old bug that
prevents that feature from working correctly.

I recommend everyone comment on issue #822 on the freebsd/poudriere
github[1] and explain how much of a pain it is that poudriere doesn't
have sane behaviour wrt dependencies.  Maybe if enough people comment it
will spur a fix.

1: https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere/issues/822